image
 
Freeport History

"There has been concern for many years about the tradition that papers were signed in 1820 in Freeport making it the “Birthplace of Maine.”..Now known as the Jameson Tavern, a great place to eat.
So as you can read Freeport has a great flash point in history. To read more...



Casco Castle ca 1902
This hotel had a great history built by John J Turner then burnt down around 1910.The building of Casco Castle in 1903 is linked to the development of the electric trolley car that was then regarded as the ultimate in rapid transportation. The Brunswick-Yarmouth Street Railway was a link in the system by which a person with sufficient stamina could travel from Bangor to Boston “on the cars.”

Here is another great blog link with pictures about the construction of this 'Castle".

Kendall Tavern Inn

The Kendall Tavern Inn B&B property had its start around 1800 when Mark Roger’s daughter Margaret apparently married a certain Captain Robert Kendall who served in the War of 1812, but a house and land was here from 1801 to 1832 when they bought 50 acres. During this time there are “records” that show provisions were bought for the tavern but we have not seen these records. The children who inherited the house through the years served the country in the Civil War as did Captain John Kendall. Around 1894 the second floor and attic was added. The home stayed with the Kendall’s until the death of Kittie Kendall Morton, who they say was quite a “social light,” with many friends. One friend who stayed here quite often was the minister of the Congregational Church in Freeport. He stayed in what is now Room 4. When Kittie passed on the Albert Pratt family bought the farm and kept it through Helen Clarkson until 1989. Then a lawyer named Hermon Pettigrove and his wife from California bought the farm to restore it into a bed and breafast. There is a picture album showing the process. They ran the inn until she passed away and he sold the inn to Carrie McBride. She did a lot of the decorating and website design that is still used today. After three years Carrie sold the inn to Rick and Wendy Conroy from CT, who owned the inn for one year. Then, in August of 2005, we purchased the inn and here we are today, enjoying every minute of our life long dream.


 



image
image
image

image

image